Categories > Etc > Software & Hardware >

[QUESTION] [Help] router & cords

SnowyWaves

Hentai Connoisseur

vip

Threads: 2

Posted

I've had internet for a good 11 years and it's started to slow down ALOT.  I don't use an ethernet cable atm because I don't have the port in my wall yet. It used to be 40mbps now its fluctuating between 200kbps - 5mbps. So I looked at the back of my router and all the ethernet cord things that are connected to it are more bent then a gay dude in a gay bar.

So I was wondering if I should replace the cables, buy a new router or both because well its pretty old and I'm sure the technology has changed a fair bit since 2012.

The router I believe I have is a Technicolor TG797n v3  [info here] (its what the internet company gave us) And their support line people are the most useless people to exist. any help would be great as I'm Absolutly clueless about this stuff. Cheers

simp for immune 

allennova

allennova

Threads: 13

Replied

Looking at the modem specs, it's still an ADSL router/modem combo. In that case, gawd damn, you're still using phone lines. If you want to upgrade, I would recommend getting a separate router and modem, as this is an easy upgrade path later on if you upgrade to cable or fiber optic. I can't recommend buying new routers/modems, as the hardware itself doesn't age like other computer hardware. Get yourself a relatively modern router (anything past 2016 is still fine, comment if you need recommendations) and any adsl modem. The modem is only there to translate between your uplink (in this case phone line) and your actual network. The router is what does all the heavy lifting like creating your network, broadcasting wifi, routing packets, etc.

In terms of cables, im assuming your using cat 5e as its common and still fine. 5e works upto 1 gigabit, so unless there is physical damage, the cables should be fine for 40mbps. Another issue might be damaged phone lines that go to your router, but that would take diagnosing it. Only way to easily test would be plug in another modem and see if the issue is fixed. If not, the line going to your isp is running into some sort of issue.

Comments

SnowyWaves 16 Reputation

Commented

Thank you so much   

some recommendations would be awesome. cheers 

allennova 28 Reputation

Commented

Whats your price range and region (us, eu, asia, etc) just so i know where to look.

SnowyWaves 16 Reputation

Commented

Anything under 700$ 

And i live in Australia 

allennova 28 Reputation

Commented

All the following searches have been done on ebay.com.au as I have no idea what used market sites exist in Australia. Shipping was not included in the price, as I don't have any experience with shipping in aus.

If you want the absolute top of the line that I can recommend, the Asus RT-AC5300 (not the GT, RT) supports a maximum Wi-Fi transmit rate of 5300 Mbps. You use 40mbps from your ISP, so this will be wayyy more than enough. Downside is, this router costs anywhere from $200 to $400 plus whatever shipping it is. If you want something more reasonable, the Linksys EA6900 goes anywhere from 20$ to 100$ plus shipping. The router supports AC1900 Wi-Fi, has 256mb of ram and an arm processor.

In terms of routers, you do not need the top of the line unless you have a reason, as your connection to your ISP is not going to max out either of these routers. The linksys one is what I'm running at the moment with 3rd party firmware, and it functions fine for me. I'd recommend 3rd party firmware just because the security updates as the maintainers update routers long into the future.

All of these routers will be better than the one you have right now, all that you would need is the modem, and literally any DSL router modem combo can be used or just a standalone modem. Router modem combo's can generally be put into bridge mode, meaning they only act as the modem and pass the connection to their Ethernet ports. Connect the standalone router to the combo via an Ethernet cord. If you want to buy them, Amazon or any other retailer will do. Don't worry about any fancy gimics except for what cat version the cable is and how long it is. Cat 5e is fine for up to gigabit but if you for some reason want a better cable, cat 6a can do 10gbps. Most computers and the router itself only has gigabit ports, so don't expect to use 10gbps without getting additional hardware.

Ask any questions or for clarification if you need it.

SnowyWaves 16 Reputation

Commented

Cheers bruz thanks for your help

NZXT H510i, MSI X470 & 650W PSU, 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD
Seagate 1TB HDD, EVGA RTX 3060ti
Ryzen 5 5600x, 2x16GB Corsair @3600Mhz

Threads: 20

Replied

The same router for 11 years? yeah no sh*t it's dying now....

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1136067487847415848/1146449877660872785/image.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1098921594249814066/1112144294007029932/WRDBanner_Alawapr_1.png

TERIHAX

i say im gay as a joke 🙀

Threads: 102

Replied

damn 11 years, my router is like 2 years

Users viewing this thread:

( Members: 0, Guests: 1, Total: 1 )